Final Preparation for theMarathon:
Suggestions by Coach Mike Reif
- Taperover the last three weeks so the last week is only 35-40% of your peak runningmileage
- Calculateyour Marathon goal Pace (MP) and understand what your key split times will beat 5, 10, 13.1, 15, 20, 25 miles should be.
- Developa race strategy and know the course before you get there. Know where the hillsare and key landmarks for split times.
- Onyour easy days periodically run 2-8 miles @ MP pace to “feel” it. Rehearse it.
Remaining Time before the Marathon:
3 weeks 60-75% of your peak weekly mileage
- Qualityday 1 – Run an easy 20 mi. run or 2.5 hrs @E – which ever is less
- Qualityday 2 – 1 mile @ E, then 2 x 2 mile @ T with 2 min. recovery plus 3 x 800 @ Iwith 3 min. recovery plus 1 mi. @E
- Onone Easy Day - Run 5-8 miles @ MP
2 weeks – 45-60% of your peak weekly mileage
- Qualityday 1 – 2 miles @ E, 2 miles @T, 2min. rec. then 1 hour @ E
- Qualityday 2 – 2 miles @ E plus 2- 3 x 2miles @T with 2 min. recovery plus 1-2 mi.@ E
- Onone Easy Day – Run 4-6 miles @ MP
Last week – 35-40% of peak weekly mileage
6 days - 1 hour run @E, include 2 miles @ MP
5 days – 2 E + 3 x 1 mile @ T w/2 min. recovery, 2 E
4 days – 45 min @ E 4 x 1 min.strides
3 days – 30-40 min E plus 2 x200m strides
2 days – Take the day off or runno more than 30 min @E – sleep well
1 days – 30 min @ E plus 4 x 50m strides
– ifpossible run this workout on the last few miles of the course
– Rehearseyour game plan several times early in the day then relax
Marathon day –
- Focus on your MP andpositive thoughts.
- Start relaxed and have agreat time.
- Run smart in thebeginning and run with your heart the last half.
- Consume energyreplacement drinks in small quantities early on and throughout. Do not consumelarge quantities of water.
- At mid point andthereafter periodically think of maintaining stride turnover. Periodically time your strides for aminute . . . you should be at about 90 strides per minute, counting on onefoot. Maintaining a quick stride rate will be more efficient and get you toyour goal faster.
- Have fun, know you’vetrained hard for this event.
- Good luck!